A free gift for my readers

To celebrate the publication of my new book, Great Little Gifts to Knit, I'd like to gift a couple of easy patterns to my lovely readers. There'll be one today and the next one will be next Wednesday.
Since I broke my wrist a couple of months ago I've not been able to manage much knitting, in fact it was no knitting at all until the cast came off two weeks ago. Since them I've managed to make a couple of pairs of fingerless gloves, inventing the pattern as I went along, the stitches influenced by how much or little my swollen fingers could manage. I found it more difficult to actually sew them up than to knit them as sewing calls for fine motor skills which I'm sadly lacking right now.

I was quite pleased with both pairs.  I call them my Rehab gloves.  I've gifted one pair already to a friend who admired them, the other I kept as they're keeping my recovering wrist warm and cosy on chilly autumn days, making it less likely to swell up. I'm now branching out and working on a new stripey pair, but more of that anon. Here's the pattern:
To make
Sizes  S, M, L
Yarn 1 ball Rowan Cocoon in Kiwi (816) - 115m/126yds per 100g ball
Needles 1 pair each 6mm (US 10) and 7mm (US 10.5)
Gauge  14 sts and 16 rows = 4in/10cm
Using larger needles cast on 25(27, 29) sts and work 14 rows in sticking stitch. Change to smaller needles and work 8 rows in 1 x 1 rib as follows:
Row 1  *k1, p1; rep from * to last st, k1
Row 2  *p1, k1; rep from * to last st, p1
Rep these 2 rows 4 times.
Change to larger needles and work a further 14 rows in stocking stitch, then decrease 1 st at both ends of next row - 23(25, 237) sts. Cont for 1 more row in st st, then change to smaller needles and work 4 rows in 1 x 1 rib as above.  cast off in rib.
Finishing
Sew seam leaving a 1in/2.5cm gap for thumb starting 2in/5cm from cast off edge.

There you have it.  I love my pair, quick and easy enough to be made in an evening - great for last minute prezzies. Enjoy!

Please note You're very welcome to use my pattern for your own personal knitting and gifting, but please ask before using it for commercial purposes.

Comments

  1. It's very good to hear that you've been able to do a gentle return to knitting. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely design for a fingerless mitt with us. I do like your clever stitches at the wrist that make this version just that little bit different from any others. The mitts have a look that is both traditional and contemporary and the yarn is a fine choice.

    I've been knitting up lots of scarves, in in fair isle variations, using 4 ply yarns, and for a little more relaxed knitting been making some of my own fingerless mitts, mainly using DK or worsted weight yarns.

    Continued best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please leave your message here.

Popular Posts