The creative process in nature and knitting!

Yaaaay, some sun at last! I was beginning to think the grey days would never end. It's amazing what a difference light and heat make in the garden - colours start to pop, leaves start to sparkle and birds start singing - suddenly life is good!

That said, the misty moisty mornings can provide a different type of inspiration. I've always had a soft spot for chalky hues, as opposed to pastels which I generally steer clear of. After the turn of the year the increasing light changes the colours around us all the time, although most days it's still too gloomy to notice, but now and again out of the blue comes an extraordinary day with nature asserting herself in all her colourful glory again. Such was the day that inspired these two pieces -  Foggy Dew Shawl and Dew Drop Scarf.
Foggy Dew Shawl
The shawl came first, trying to capture the mist, moisture and contrasting light and shade of a February morning - has to be the morning as by the time you get to lunchtime, it's practically dark, especially in the city. I've been working on a design concept using crescent/fan shapes as building blocks, avoiding the usual modular task of having to sew/crochet/knit them all together at the end. Much as I enjoy the knit process, I'm impatient and can't wait to see the finished product, so anything that saves time and effort I'm all for.
The yarns were all from my stash, leftover from past projects - for the pale grey and jade I used Artesano Inca Mist alpaca; the pale and dark greens and the royal blue were Silk and Ivory's wool/silk mix  and the palest grey was a pure merino. The resulting shawl is just pure luxury to wear, soft as a baby's bottom!
Back view
The crescents create a lovely circular shape which provides great versatility in ways the shawl can be worn.
I finished this one off with a row of double (US single) crochet, but only because I'd cast off in pale grey and thought it needed a darker colour along the edge. If I'd worked the extra couple of rows in blue there would have been no finishing required - always a bonus!
Back view
After I'd finished Foggy Dew, it occurred to me how it could become a scarf if I left out the striped border and crocheted around the outer edge.  So that sparked off Dewdrop, a scarf version, just crying out for a couple of tassels once finished.
Dewdrop Scarf
The scarf version turned out to be just as versatile as the shawl in the many ways it can be worn.
The tassels give it a more oriental sort of feel - like the quayside in Essaouira early in the morning
The colours here are stronger but you can get the drift from the hazy background.
Playing with yarn and colours fascinates me and there's usually a surprise - sometimes a shock - in the way yarn drapes!  As it happens, this was a pleasant surprise!
Back view
Tied at the front, it looks like a little bolero.
I'm right in the groove now with ideas for more crescent knits flowing freely, so watch this space... and don't forget to let me know your what you think, it's always good to get your feedback.
Finally, a little gnome has just told me that spring has definitely sprung - coffee in the garden, can't be bad! x

Comments

  1. Love the draped swirled ends Jean. Love the flexibility and different effects depending how it is worn. A winner! Janice Sumpton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jan, I really appreciate your feedback, especially knowing what a great knitter you are xox

      Delete
  2. Jean, these are two beautiful and clever designs, with their graceful curves. Each of them drapes so well. I agree that the tassels are a fine addition, and that the color schemes suit the designs perfectly. When I saw the first photo, I thought I was seeing an enameled piece of jewelry with a Celtic flavor.

    May I also say that your little garden gnome is a cutie, standing there in the shade of the daffs.

    Best wishes. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Frances, thanks for your lovely comment. The little gnome has lived in our garden since I made him with Felix about twenty years ago. He's a bit worse for wear now, but the grandbabies love him and get him out every spring. We move him around the garden all the time so they can search him out when they come round xox

      Delete
  3. Love the colorful post & shawls ! I also noticed the addition of your new guitar in the background (nice!) Got your comment on Butterfly & Mandolin, and I just wanted to say (in case you aren't notified of my reply) this:

    John is doing SO well… we’ve begun practicing and guess what? John has decided to learn to knit, so he can work his hands therapeutically. I had a spare ball of Blacker Yarns ” Welsh Black Mountain ” and he is going for it !!! (He’s Welsh, so he really appreciated the Welsh Wool…. and so now he has joined the realms of Knit-Pickers like you and me :) . xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawls are lovely - will patterns be available on Ravelry? I always look forward to your blog entries and your posts on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DOH ... I found the pattern on Ravelry ... yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth,
      I don't think I actually put the pattern in my Rav store after the yardage was determined - the link appears to go to my website. I'm not at home right now and my laptop died over Xmas so I'm working on a different one and I don't have access to the pattern or the info. I'll be able to look into it when I get home on Friday. Sorry about this, I'll keep you posted when the pattern is up on Ravelry.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please leave your message here.

Popular Posts