New York, New York - Part 2

I'd made an assignation with a friend from the UK, just by chance we were in New York at the same time. MOMA was the venue and Felix and I set out that morning with a few jobs to do before meeting Jenny.  One of them was getting his iPad screen fixed as it was completely smashed in one corner. I wish I'd taken a pic now as it didn't take a huge leap of the imagination to see it hanging in a gallery, new genre - iPad grunge.
We'd heard that for only a little more than getting the screen mended, Apple would replace it like-for-like and as electronics are always cheaper in the US, it seemed like a great idea.  So we set off in search of The Cube, the iconic Apple store at the top of Fifth Avenue.
The Cube
Though I don't like to admit it, I'm a bit of a geek on the quiet and I couldn't resist getting a cool new cover for my own iPad and only just resisted buying the ever-so-reasonable-compared- to-UK-prices Time Machine, only as I didn't fancy carrying it home.
Grand Central Station
A quick detour en route found us at Grand Central Station, We just had to see the fabulous concourse of arguably the most famous station in the world (although York, old York that is, has a pretty fabulous station too). Grand Central lived up to it's reputation, everything seems dwarfed by its grand and gorgeous presence, making passengers look like LS Lowry's matchstick people.
York Station
It was touch and go, but eventually I was able to extract both of us from electronic heaven, with Felix happily bearing his brand new iPad. We just had time before meeting Jenny for a brisk stroll through Central Park, then dived into Barneys for a quick spot of lunch. Another thrill.  Obviously Felix and I are ingenues when it comes to technology as to say we were thrilled by our touch screen menus would not be overstating our delight.
Lunch at Barneys 
The touch screen menus
We met Jenny in the foyer at MOMA, then made straight for the sixth floor, aiming to make our way back down through the galleries from the top. Best laid plans... in the event we didn't get past the fifth floor, I think Felix's comment sums it up Everywhere you look, there's a masterpiece!  SO much to look at, MOMA has almost every popular piece of art you can think of - Matisse, Picasso, Klimt, Van Goch, Klee, Miro, Kandinski, Monet, Manet, the list is endless.  Some favourites...
Glittering Klimt
Matisse's dancers, I love the whole series of paintings

Kandinski
Add caption
Van Goch
Starry night
Monet
After three hours we were just in time before closing to get a mug of Moroccan mint tea in the cafe before heading off to eat in Vynl, a quirky eatery on 9th Avenue at 51st. The most interesting part about this experience for me was the loos.  Four different unisex loos, each named after different music icons like Dolly (Parton) and Elvis, with their music playing inside and one wall covered in a glittering glass mosaic portrait.  Have to say I didn't go in the other two but was told they were equally splendid.
On our way home we noticed someone had put out a flag for Felix :)
Tonight would be our last night in our B&B on West 23rd before our move to the Marriott Marquis on Times Square, venue of VK Live. So up bright and breezy next day for a hearty breakfast, before packing our bags. The Marriott and the Inn on the 23rd could not be more different, chalk and cheese in fact.  Where our eccentric B&B was cosy and cluttered, our new space was like a spaceship (as my editor pointed out over lunch next day). Sleek and chic rooms with views to die for over Times Square and Manhattan, with a central well filled with glass sci-fi lifts to whizz you to one of the 45 floors (could be more, I didn't count). Difficult to choose which I prefer, it's horses for courses and the Marriott was a fabulous venue for VK Live.
Marriott lift pod
Room with a view
Our time to free-range in New York flashed past, we certainly packed it in.  A few more snaps ...
One for the grandchildren - life-sized Minnie
Felix was keen to go skating at the Rockefeller Centre...  next time maybe?
More matchstick peeps on the ice
Stopped off in the Lego shop while we were at the Rockefeller Centre - amazing constructions to inspire little ones...
Lego version of the Rockefeller skaters

On our final day whizzing round the shops, we got this fab view of Union Square. Anyone tell me where you can get Osh Kosh dungarees for baby boys these days? Seems like there's lots of frilly pinnys for girls, but the standard dungarees seem to have been fazed out.
Union Square
Browsing in Anthropologie,  I came across these fantastic hand-painted metal letters. Heavy, so I put them back, but could kick myself now for not bringing them home.
No reservations though when I set eyes on a shawl-collared Missoni patterned jacket which was in the sale reduced from $198 - $67 - you can always find space for a sweater! Arlo is finding the bag it came in great for the odd nap...
...and I loved Anthropologie's wall of books
Book art
Back in the UK, the NY scarf is coming along nicely as I got lots of knitting time in on two five hour train journeys last weekend.
Hope you've enjoyed my bus-stop tour. What are your fave places in New York?

Comments

  1. Dear Jean, thank you for your enjoyable travel reports from NYC! You might know that I just love that city!

    It's difficult to tell what fave places in NY I have, because the whole city is so amazing, but a lovely little spot - known from Woody Allen's movie "Manhattan" - is Riverview Terrace on Sutton Place (East 58th Street and East 59th street) by the East River. I also love "South Street Seaport", just sitting in the sun on the open deck at the end of "Pier 17".

    You brought many happy memories back to me - again, thank you! (And that includes also the photo of York Station!).

    Your friend in Norway, Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you again, Hilde. Any chance you'll be coming to see us again this autumn? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Would'nt it be lovely"! I'll never give up hope! :) x

      Delete
  3. I'm a New Yorker now living in Ohio. I love going to Vynl- Good food, good prices. MOMA is my fav museum in NYC- next trip try the Queens Museum- there's a map of NYC that you walk around-
    Also try eating at Blockheads for mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on Blockheads and Queens Museum... two more good reasons added to my list for next visit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please leave your message here.

Popular Posts